Thursday, March 11, 2010

WERE EXPECTING!

Nope, I'm not pregnant. We are in the process of adopting! Corey and I are so excited! It's all we talk about anymore. And every extra minute we have is spent preparing to bring our baby home. We have created this blog to keep everyone updated.

A common question is why did you decide to adopt? It all started in May of 2005 when I had surgery to remove an ovarian cyst during the surgery they found endometrioses. Endometrioses makes getting pregnant and keeping the pregnancy very difficult. Since my surgery Corey and I have talked about the possibility of adoption. Of course with the adoption fees, which can be anywhere between $30,000 - $50,000, we decided to try and have biological children. Long story short........the process has not been easy. We decided not to proceed with IVF and to put the money that we would have used towards our adoption. It was like a heavy weight was lifted when we made that decision. We both felt a sense of peace, happiness, and excitement. The process of adoption is extensive. And yet everything seems to be moving along very smoothly. I have been shocked at just how easily things have been falling into place. The most common reaction from friends and family has been "I always thought you would adopt". When I have a particularly "hard" day I see somebody, get an email, or someone calls to offer encouragement, answer my questions or give light to a problem I thought impossible to solve. Thank you all so much! It pushes us forward and gives us hope.

Our next step is having a social worker out to our home to do a "home study". This is a full investigation on every aspect of our lives. I'm not exaggerating when I say EVERY. There are no secrets with adoption. The social worker will inspect our home to make sure it's a safe clean environment for our baby. Criminal background checks have already been sent in. We took the plunge and bought living room furniture. Because we sold our set when we moved from the town home. Even though were comfortable with the house only being partially furnished we thought the social worker might feel warm and fuzzy if we have living room furniture ;). Corey is an excellent negotiator! We got a fantastic deal at the Ashley Furniture store, GO BABES!

It's so easy to get caught up in the tasks revolving around the adoption. Maybe that's a defense mechanism so the emotions don't take over. Although I can't imagine being any more emotional! Having a baby in the home will be an exciting change for us. Starting our family..........well there aren't any words to describe the happiness it brings us. Were picking out names, making a list of baby stuff that we will need, and thinking about the interior design of the nursery. I even have a list of supplies that I would need immediately in case we had very short notice. I can't help it, it's the type "A" personality in me. Were told that after ALL our paperwork is in and we are approved it could be 2wks to 3 months!

Corey and I have been married for 6 1/2 years, and together for a little over 8 years. One thing I know for sure is that we can do anything we put our minds too. In the time we've been together Corey finished his electrical apprenticeship, and earned his journeyman's license (which took 5 years), I completed nursing school (also 5 years), we bought two homes, and started two businesses. Corey would be upset if I didn't mention the jeep, (rolling my eyes right now), seriously though he did work hard for it and made sacrifices. We never questioned how or if we could do it. We just held our heads up, moved our feet forward and dodged the punches. We can do this too, we will DIG DEEP! We have already received tons of encouragement from family and friends. Thank you all so much!

1 comment: